Saturday, December 19, 2009
The Ugly Christmas Sweater Run is Almost Here!!!!!
It's hard to believe that Christmas will be this Friday! Hopefully everybody has their shopping done and has time to relax and be with friends and loved ones. For those of us who are doing the Ugly Christmas Sweater Run, on Tuesday December 22nd, at 6:30 pm, at Memorial Park in Manitou Springs, here are a few updates:
Again, this is a FREE, no t-shirt, fun run. It is not competitive. There are NO COURSE MARKINGS, so hopefully my directions will be helpful, and even better, all of us stay together for the 3.5 miles. PLEASE BRING A STRONG FLASHLIGHT or HEADLAMP!!!!!
1. Meet at Memorial Park. Go WEST on Manitou Avenue. Stay ON THE SIDEWALK, running past the police department, the Stagecoach Restaurant, Black Cat Book Store, and then cross Canon Ave, staying LEFT of the town clock and statue of Hebe ( Greek Goddess of eternal youth. Also the patron Goddess of Botox, I believe). Stay on the sidewalk that parallels Manitou Avenue, all the way to the end of Soda Springs Park. You will go past the Mate Factor, which is the last business before you come to Soda Springs Park. (who knows. we might get tired and stop at the Mate for a cup of tea to energize us before continuing on our strenuous quest)
2. Go all the way to the end of the sidewalk the runs past Fountain Creek, and is on the right side of Manitou Avenue. Go over and around the little bridge that takes you to the other side of Soda Springs Park. The sidewalk is icy and narrow on this side, so you might want to run SINGLE FILE heading east, (back in the direction you came). You will run past the historic Clif House on your left on Canon Ave. Watch for ice!! You will be able to run on the sidewalk now, and will run past the candy store (we might stop there if we need further nourishment) past the town clock again, past the Glass Blowers, past the Keg (might stop for a burger or beer), and back past Black Cat Books and the Police Department.( it should look familiar)
3. You will now run by Memorial Park again. Keep heading east on El Paso Blvd. It is best to stay single file, because there isn't any shoulder of sidewalk on El Paso. Go up the hill on El Paso, until you come to Mayfair Ave. Go RIGHT on MAYFAIR. It is across from the Craftwood Inn. Again, watch for ice going down Mayfair Ave. Mayfair Ave is downhill, and very short. It will take you back to Manitou Ave. DO NOT GO TO Manitou Ave!!! There is a trail just before you get to the Chamber of Commerce. Make a SHARP LEFT on this trail. Head east!
4. Now that you are on this trail, you will go behind the Manitou Campground, the Manitou Swimming Pool,(the trail will turn to pavement) UNDER Highway 24,and all the way to the end of The Fields Park, (by the skateboard park). Circle back towards Manitou, staying on the sidewalk, back under the highway, past the swimming pool, back to Mayfair Ave.
5. GO RIGHT, uphill, on Mayfair Ave, back to El Paso Blvd. Once you get to El Paso Blvd,turn left, staying SINGLE FILE, back to Memorial Park.
6. You're done!!!!! Now you can tell whoever bought you that lovely sweater that you really, honestly did wear it out. ( you don't have to tell them it was dark) Some of us might go to Adams, or the Mate Factor afterwards.
THANKS FOR RUNNING WITH US AND MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM PRINCESS AND I!!!!!!!!