Tuesday, December 22, 2009
A huge thank you to all who helped and participated in this years ugly Christmas Sweater Fun Run!
Runners Tim Fromm, Andrea Cichosz, Brian Newsome, and Anita Fromm were greeted with a light snow as they ran through the sidewalks of Manitou, enjoying the beautiful holiday lights.
Andrea won the women's running division, while Tim and Brian tied for first in the mens. As far as who had the ugliest holiday sweater contest, well... it was quite the fashion show down!. Andrea showed up in a red, beaded, what appeared to be rein deer ensemble, while Brian's bright red sweater with the huge Christmas tree complete with shoulder pads made for an unforgettable fashion statement. Anita's mismatched beige, snowflake turtleneck sweater and red holiday vest with reindeer heads and green buttons and fuzzy pink Santa hat screamed "fashion alert!". Her long suffering husband Tim made it clear that he was more into running than fashion, but still wore the stupid green and red reindeer antlers that his wife made him wear.
We sincerely hope that next year this becomes an official, family friendly running event, supporting local businesses and charities.
Monday, December 21, 2009
Hey Everybody!!! It's less than one day to go until our Ugly Christmas Sweater Fun Run! I hope you're as excited as I am. Be sure and remember to dress warmly, as the weather now is calling for a chance of snow. And don't forget to bring a headlamp or flashlight!
Here is a map of our course. I will have additional maps with me as well.
Hope to see you tomorrow at 6:30 pm, in beautiful Manitou Springs, at Memorial Park!
Saturday, December 19, 2009
It's hard to believe that Christmas will be this Friday! Hopefully everybody has their shopping done and has time to relax and be with friends and loved ones. For those of us who are doing the Ugly Christmas Sweater Run, on Tuesday December 22nd, at 6:30 pm, at Memorial Park in Manitou Springs, here are a few updates:
Again, this is a FREE, no t-shirt, fun run. It is not competitive. There are NO COURSE MARKINGS, so hopefully my directions will be helpful, and even better, all of us stay together for the 3.5 miles. PLEASE BRING A STRONG FLASHLIGHT or HEADLAMP!!!!!
1. Meet at Memorial Park. Go WEST on Manitou Avenue. Stay ON THE SIDEWALK, running past the police department, the Stagecoach Restaurant, Black Cat Book Store, and then cross Canon Ave, staying LEFT of the town clock and statue of Hebe ( Greek Goddess of eternal youth. Also the patron Goddess of Botox, I believe). Stay on the sidewalk that parallels Manitou Avenue, all the way to the end of Soda Springs Park. You will go past the Mate Factor, which is the last business before you come to Soda Springs Park. (who knows. we might get tired and stop at the Mate for a cup of tea to energize us before continuing on our strenuous quest)
2. Go all the way to the end of the sidewalk the runs past Fountain Creek, and is on the right side of Manitou Avenue. Go over and around the little bridge that takes you to the other side of Soda Springs Park. The sidewalk is icy and narrow on this side, so you might want to run SINGLE FILE heading east, (back in the direction you came). You will run past the historic Clif House on your left on Canon Ave. Watch for ice!! You will be able to run on the sidewalk now, and will run past the candy store (we might stop there if we need further nourishment) past the town clock again, past the Glass Blowers, past the Keg (might stop for a burger or beer), and back past Black Cat Books and the Police Department.( it should look familiar)
3. You will now run by Memorial Park again. Keep heading east on El Paso Blvd. It is best to stay single file, because there isn't any shoulder of sidewalk on El Paso. Go up the hill on El Paso, until you come to Mayfair Ave. Go RIGHT on MAYFAIR. It is across from the Craftwood Inn. Again, watch for ice going down Mayfair Ave. Mayfair Ave is downhill, and very short. It will take you back to Manitou Ave. DO NOT GO TO Manitou Ave!!! There is a trail just before you get to the Chamber of Commerce. Make a SHARP LEFT on this trail. Head east!
4. Now that you are on this trail, you will go behind the Manitou Campground, the Manitou Swimming Pool,(the trail will turn to pavement) UNDER Highway 24,and all the way to the end of The Fields Park, (by the skateboard park). Circle back towards Manitou, staying on the sidewalk, back under the highway, past the swimming pool, back to Mayfair Ave.
5. GO RIGHT, uphill, on Mayfair Ave, back to El Paso Blvd. Once you get to El Paso Blvd,turn left, staying SINGLE FILE, back to Memorial Park.
6. You're done!!!!! Now you can tell whoever bought you that lovely sweater that you really, honestly did wear it out. ( you don't have to tell them it was dark) Some of us might go to Adams, or the Mate Factor afterwards.
THANKS FOR RUNNING WITH US AND MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM PRINCESS AND I!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
It's hard to believe that Christmas is almost upon us once again! Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I love celebrating it with all my friends and loved ones. This year, friend and training partner Melissa Marr and I have come up with a new way for our running buddies to come together and celebrate the holiday season by doing something we love: RUN!
SO, December 22nd, at 6:30pm, in Manitou Springs, CO, we are having a fun, informal, and totally free UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER FUN RUN!
Here are all the who, whats, and wheres:
WHO: you! and anyone else you think might want to join us.
WHERE: Memorial Park, Manitou Springs, CO
WHAT TIME: 6:30pm, Tuesday December 22nd
HOW FAR: about 3.5 miles
WHAT TO WEAR: That ugly Christmas sweater you swore you'd never be caught dead in! (be sure and wear something warm underneath!)A stupid Santa hat is highly recommended too.
DO I HAVE TO BE FAST? NO! In fact, I recommend you run slowly, so that everyone will see just how fashionable you look.
HOW WILL I KNOW WHERE TO RUN? We will have a map for you, although we are going to try and stick together. We will also briefly explain the course shortly before the run, and in a future posting on my blog.
CAN I BRING MY DOG OR CAT? Of course! Everybody knows how pets love to be dressed up in holiday apparel. Just be sure and have them on a leash.
IS THIS AN ORGANIZED RACE THAT I HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN? No! It is FREE, although some of us might go to Adam's Mountain Cafe for dinner afterwards.