Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sedona Marathon 2009




Having run dozens of marathons, and upwards of 100 ultra marathons, I can say with confidence that the Sedona Marathon, in beautiful Sedona, AZ, is the best organized marathon I have ever run. Never having won a marathon before, I wasn't expecting to win, but I did want to set a PR, which was 3:43. Being an out and back course, it soon became visibly apparent to me that I was in third. Which was fine with me, given that I train soley for ultramarathons. Even when I caught up with the second place female, I didn't plan on winning. But life doesn't always go according to plan. With less than a mile to go, my husband, who had come along with me, yelled out that I was just 20 seocnds behind the first place woman. Could it be possible for me to win a marathon?! With $1400 dollars in air fare prize money, plus hundreds of dollars in restaurant and spa treatments at stake, I kicked it in, and ended up winning by just seconds. The woman in front of me was tough! I honor her for making me work for that overall win, and for her grace and class at the finish line. Although not a course record, I did manage to set a PR, winning in a time of 3:35:52, 1st female, and 17th overall. A huge thank you to all the amazing volunteers who helped make this race a safe and successful victory!

2 comments:

runjoey said...

Sweet !! Cashing in on all that training. I hope I can keep up with you at Umstead when you get your new 100 mile pr

JeffO said...

Wow, you rocked it! Way to go, Anita!